Thursday, October 27, 2011

10 months and counting!!!

It has now been 10 months since my transplant!  Once again, time has swiftly marched along.  I found out last week that my bilirubin is now down to a 0.4, which is amazing.  I have gotten nothing but good reports lately, so I am thrilled! 

I did just overcome a mental block, so to speak.  I had put it off and put it off (with the best intentions), but I finally bit the bullet and wrote to my donor’s family.  It was one of the hardest, complicated, emotional and worrisome things I have ever done.  How do you tell them thank you enough or make sure words convey how truly grateful you are or help them understand that you don’t take it for granted?  How do you express your excitement for living, while knowing they are still mourning their loved one?  How do you express the love you feel for these people that you have never met?  And I could go on…  (hence the emotions mentioned above).  It just feels like words aren’t enough.  My hope is that I was able to convey to them how truly grateful and humbled I am, and hope that they can find some kind of peace with their decision for organ donation. 

I also discovered a neat company called RockScar Love at www.RockScarLove.com.  A woman who had a liver transplant in 1993 started the company a year ago to give back to the transplant community.  She offers merchandise with fun slogans that bring awareness to organ donation, and “helping individuals with physical, mental and emotional scars to embrace the lessons they represent.”   If you know someone who has been through some sort of trauma, whether it is transplant involved or something different, it is well worth checking out! 

It is wild to think that this whole journey began a year ago, roughly three weeks from now.  November 20th  My gallbladder went first and who knew what was coming next!!

~ Trying to predict the future is like trying to drive down a country road at night with no lights while looking out the back window.             

1 comment:

  1. you are amazing! God's grace and angels are all around you :-)

    ReplyDelete